ASMC is the non-profit educational and professional organization for persons, military and civilian, involved in the financial management profession who support the Department of Defense (DoD) and U.S. Coast Guard. ASMC promotes the education and training of its members and supports the development and advancement of the profession.
ASMC’s Mission is to promote thought leadership, professional development, and ethical behavior in all aspects of defense financial management. Our Vision is to be the premier organization bringing people together in advancing thought leadership, professionalism, and ethics within the national security financial management community.
National Headquarters Organization
ASMC is governed by a National Board of Directors and follows the adopted ASMC National Constitution and Bylaws and Pledge of Professionalism. The headquarters staff is located in Alexandria, VA led by President & CEO Rich Brady, CDFM, CGFM, CMA.
View our Strategic Goals to learn more about our plans for the future of ASMC and defense financial management.
ASMC is a registered 501(3) non-profit organization. Read our latest Financial Report.
ASMC was established as the Society of Military Accountants and Statisticians in 1948 and was open only to active-duty officers. Since then, ASMC has expanded to extend membership opportunities to all DoD and Coast Guard financial management (FM) personnel, as well as civilian contractors providing FM support to DoD and USCG.
Today, ASMC’s National Headquarters in Alexandria, VA serves a growing professional society of more than 14,000 members and more than 100 Chapters.
Through the Years
- 1948 – ASMC was founded as the Society of Military Accountants and Statisticians in San Antonio, TX.
- 1949 – The National Security Act Amendments of 1949 established the Department of Defense, replacing what had been known as the National Military Establishment.
- 1955 – The Society was renamed the American Society of Military Comptrollers (ASMC).
- 1956 – ASMC publishes its first issue of the Armed Forces Comptroller Journal, Volume 1, Number 1.
- 1968 – The first Professional Military Comptroller Course (PMCC) is conducted and runs for 12 weeks.
- 1970 – ASMC’s Constitution is revised to redefine “military comptrollership” to include such areas as programming, cost, and management analysis, operations research, systems analysis, and management and industrial engineering.
- 1976 – ASMC announces its first full-time, paid Executive Director Col. Edmund Edmonds, Jr, USAF (Ret). ASMC’s Executive Director represents the Society at the White House for the signing of the Military Appropriations Act by President Ford.
- 1981 – ASMC’s National Symposium is renamed Professional Development Institute (PDI) and is held in St. Louis, MO. Membership increases to 7,000 with over 80 Chapters.
- 1985 – While it took ASMC 32 years to reach 7,000 members, it only takes four more years to add another 7,000, making the total 14,000 with 125 Chapters. ASMC institutes the Corporate Member program for businesses interested in military comptrollership.
- 1991 – ASMC National Headquarters opens in Alexandria, VA.
- 2000 – ASMC rolls out the Certified Defense Financial Manager (CDFM) professional certification and the Enhanced Defense Financial Management Training course at the PDI in Philadelphia.
- 2008 – ASMC adds the CDFM-A to its certification, offering the additional designation of Acquisition Specialty to its CDFM certification program.
- 2023 – ASMC celebrates 75 years since its founding in 1948, including a celebratory event during the PDI in St. Louis, MO with over 7,500 combined in-person and virtual attendees, the largest PDI to date.