CDFM Program Background
The CDFM is a professional, assessment-based certification originally developed by ASMC in partnership with the Department of Defense and the Chauncey Group, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Educational Testing Service. The CDFM exams went live in the year 2000. The CDFM Program is governed by the ASMC Certification Commission, and the ASMC Certification Department runs the day-to-day operations.
ASMC is proud to be a member of the Institute for Credentialing Excellence in show of our support of the credentialing community and our commitment to strive for excellence in our CDFM certification program.
What Is the CDFM/CDFM-A and Who Should Pursue It?
The CDFM is a test-based certification for financial management professionals who are civilian or military members of the Department of Defense, U.S. Coast Guard, or employees of defense contractors and suppliers.
Earning and maintaining the CDFM credential requires meeting education and experience criteria, passing three multiple-choice exams, and recertifying every two years.
The certification exams cover three primary areas as defined by the CDFM Competency Model:
- Resource Management Environment
- Budget and Cost Analysis
- Accounting and Finance
Individuals who meet all of the requirements earn the right to display the CDFM designation after their names. CDFMs who also pass the Module 4 exam, which tests defense acquisition competencies, earn the CDFM-A: CDFM with Acquisition Specialty.
The Value of CDFM/CDFM-A Certification
- The CDFM (to include the CDFM-A) is one of the DoD-approved professional certifications that the DoD Financial Management Certification Program “Recommends” at DFMC Level 2 and “Strongly Recommends” at DFMC Level 3
- Marketable, recognized credential to prospective employers and clients
- Earning a voluntary, professional certification indicates your level of initiative and distinguishes you from others in the field
- Enhances your career and reputation
- Certificants are listed on ASMC’s website registry
- New certificants are listed in the Armed Forces Comptroller (AFC), ASMC’s quarterly journal
- Shows growth and advancement within the profession
- Pride at being a part of a prestigious organization that supports the profession
- A beautiful, high-quality wall certificate displays your accomplishment
- ASMC Chapter and/or on-the-job recognition
- Certification maintenance requirements necessitate your continuing professional development and ensure that you stay current with industry trends and changes
View Active CDFMs
ASMC provides a list of all currently active and Certified Retired CDFMs and CDFM-As here.
Most employers offer reimbursement for pursuit of a professional certification. Some resources for seeking reimbursement can be found here.